Blog Adda

Early Childhood pampered by our parents

This is the time we don't understand the value of money and more often than not, we are also pampered by our parents and relatives.

Education - Key to success

We continue to live on our parents efforts but build a foundation for our career. Education and Graduation dependent on individuals interest and affordability.

We have started earning after graduation!!

Well, we are less dependent on our parents, now that we have started earning. Starting a family and Pampering our children is part of this phase.

Older we are, Wiser we get

We get older, children start schooling.Time to think about loan payments, savings for retirement, we earn, spend on necessities and we save the rest.

Finally the day has arrived and start enjoying retirement

Retirement reduces our needs but not expenses. The extras that we saved supplement the social security and pension and keep us flying till the END!!.

Sunday, 24 January 2016

Advances in Navigation

With the advent of personal transportation vehicles, the navigation became more important. You can't reach anywhere without knowing how to get there. When I was using public transportation, I never realized the importance. I expected the bus driver or the train to take me to a place which was familiar to me. Even when I started riding the cycle, Navigation didn't seem very important since I was mostly riding short distances which was my familiar area.

In those days, very few people owned two wheelers or cars but as the country became more advanced and people having more disposable income, the demand for Scooters, Motor  Cycles and Cars increased. Along with it the importance of Navigation.

I still remember when my friends lived in US. They used to make a beeline to American Automobile Association offices to get what they called Triptik, which consisted of pieces of maps with the driving directions marked. My friends traveled with all the booklets so that they can navigate their way through the various roads. It did make an IMPACT in the way people traveled but people didn't feel that it was cumbersome at that time. It took lot of time traveling to the Association office an wait for your turn to be attended.

However with the advent of mobile devices which also became more powerful by the day, came the option of computerized navigation. This took a long time to mature and it was initially available on smart phones. This made a big impact on people who traveled with unwieldy and large paper maps. The maps that took up the passenger seat gave way to electronic navigation. That way the Passenger seat is now available to its rightful owner. The roads, distances and location became digitized. The NAVIGATION advice provided became personal based on where the user is. People need not worry about where they are currently as this was automatically done by the mobile phone and later by special navigation devices.

This made a huge impact on Navigation advice provided. The devices knew where it because of its ability to find its current location based on the distances from satellites and mobile towers. All advice provided became highly personalized and the device can say turn left after 50 ft. Can navigation advice get better than that? Yes it did when specific devices that can be fitted into the car became available. When the devices and phones were expensive, people were hesitant to buy specialized devices only for navigation. But with reducing prices, these devices became more affordable. This again has made a big impact on the navigation capability of people as they can now afford a dedicated device for their vehicle. What new advances will come in the future, let us wait and see.

#TataZicaMarathon

This blog post is inspired by the blogging marathon hosted on IndiBlogger for the launch of the #Fantastico Zica from Tata Motors. You can apply for a test drive of the hatchback Zica today.

The impact of Internet & Social Media

It was first the internet. When the internet became available, it made a big IMPACT on people. People realized that they don't need to wait for days to receive snail mails (modern post) or don't need to spend an exorbitant amount of money to make a phone call (Well, believe me, it was exorbitant then). People realized they could just send an email and the recipient will receive it almost instantaneously. This definitely made an impact on the way people communicated. Well, yes, people needed a desktop (or later a laptop) which made an impact as sellers of personal computers made their sales like hot cakes.

Then came the Instant Messaging. Instant messaging was instant like email but allowed interaction. I could send an instant message to my wife and she could reply immediately and I can reply and so on. This is taken for granted now but made a breakthrough impact on the way people communicated. People were still on their desktops as the initial mobiles were not smart enough.

Ecommerce companies started wooing people. The likes of Amazon, Ebay are still alive making peoples life better. They employ different models but made sure their models worked.

Then came the social media. This was a whole different game altogether. While IM was one on one and personal and people atleast expected that to be private. With social media people started posting their status, photos etc and expected all their friends and followers can view them. The social media sites started looking for eyeballs and how to hook people to their sites. There were different types which came under the umbrella of social media. Twitter for instance, believed any information can be communicated in short text and limited the size of a tweet.

Then came the smart mobile phones. Apple led the way until Android followed suit. Blackberry was a strong contender but lost badly in the race. Some smart phone makers were working on their own operating systems, like Samsung and Nokia. While Nokia failed to see the wind and change accordingly, Samsung was quick to drop its BadaOS and embraced Android. Though Windows and Blackberry are still around, they have a low market share.

The advent of smart phones made a big impact and changed the landscape altogether. People started flocking to the smart phones of their choice based on their affordability. When the power of the smart phones increased, App stores were filled with millions and billions of Apps for every purpose. This really made a BIG IMPACT on people. Today, I ordered my replacement gas cylinders using an Android App.

That leaves us with Internet of Things to make an IMPACT on us next. This will probably make a larger impact than what the mobile phones did to humans and make life more pleasant.

#TataZicaMarathon

This blog post is inspired by the blogging marathon hosted on IndiBlogger for the launch of the #Fantastico Zica from Tata Motors. You can apply for a test drive of the hatchback Zica today.

The Five Traits

There are five traits which is needed in any human or object to be or become great!  What are they and how to have or show these traits? If I had known the answer, I would have become great! But alas no. Ask my wife if you don't believe me.

The first is FANTASTICO. You can be a fantastic person or your car can be fantastic. This is the first of the five traits. No one has told me I am fantastico but I find it written all over Tata Zica. One look at the Zica will make anyone's heard turn. If that's not fantastico, then what is?

The second trait is IMPACT. I have seen lot of people make an impact. Our former president APJ Kalam has made a lasting impact on not only Indians but even foreigners who have known him. Tata Zica's design philosophy will make an immediate impact at first sight which will last over time. While making first sight impact may not be that difficult, Tata Zica manages to provide a lasting impact which will continue to turn heads. It is the car to talk about. Its dual tone interior and customizable vents and premium graphics and multiple storage spaces designed for easy access will make a lasting impact on its owner.

The third trait is PEPPY.  Tata Zica's petrol 1.2L engine with 85PS power and 114Nm torque give the pep to any car. Its diesel 1.05L engine with 70PS power and 140Nm torque also provides the Pep needed for any car. Its advanced dual path suspension paves the way for a comfortable drive. What more do you expect from a car than a cool, comfortable drive?

The fourth trait is MUSIC. Most people who are fantastico, make an impact may not be Peppy or be able to sing. I probably sing like a donkey and I am sure most bathroom singers fall into the same category. Well, don't ask them as they will never accept. With Tata Zica you can hae the best music as you drive. Tata Zica comes with a ConnectNext infotainment exclusively developed by Harman.

The fifth trait is NAVIGATION. I am way-off when it comes to navigation. So are most people I know. Even when there is a 50 percent chance of being right, I have also chosen the wrong direction. Ask my back seat driver, if you don't believe me. However you don't need to make the wrong judgement or depend on back seat drive when you drive Tata Zica. Tata Zica can connect to your Android Phone to provide the turn to turn navigation on-screen. You can be sure you will never have to memorize the direction anymore.
Tata Zica comes with just not one or two of these traits but all five of them.

#TataZicaMarathon

Peppy Rwanda and fantastico Juan

George's cousin Rwanda was very peppy. People around her were amazed by the energy she shows in everything she does. Couple of years ago, as George was preparing to go for a New Years Party hosted by his friends. Rwanda had come over and staying with George's family for the Christmas holidays. Rwanda wanted to tag along with George for the Party. They spent a good time with one of George's cool friend fantastico Juan.

Couple of years passed by and George even forgot about the Party he took Rwanda to, when the cool fantastico Juan started pestering George to take him to Rwanda's house during Diwali. First George didn't understand (as usual his slow brain failed to catch the spark). Then he spoke to Rwanda and understood they wanted to make it an accidental meeting! Oops. What an accident, George sensible mind never thought accidents could be planned anyway! George didn't have much of an option but to agree since Rwanda was cool about Juan visiting her house during the festival period.

George didn't have much of an option and he decided to make an unplanned drop in at Rwanda house along with Juan. As the day dawned, Rwanda started becoming more nervous but tried not to show it off.  When George came to her house with Juan, her parents were very happy to see George and welcomed both him and his friend. Rwanda became her own self and started offering coffee, sweets and snacks to the guests. George and Juan both liked sweets and enjoyed what Rwanda gave them. While George was talking with her Parents, Peppy Rwanda had taken fantastico Juan for a stroll in the pertext of showing the house. They had a grand lunch after which George sat down with Rwanda and Juan for some music. While George and Rwanda were discussing music and their favorites, Juan moved to the living area and started conversation with Rwanda's parents. After couple of hours George told Rwanda's parents that he was going home. Rwanda was happy and disappointed while sending George and Juan off. It was then that George understood something common in the chemistry between Rwanda and Juan. Juan met Rwanda's parents during the following Christmas and slowly became very friendly with them. Their friendliness encouraged Rwanda and Juan as they started seeing more often.

George, the dreamer, caught up in his own dream world and was busy with his work and investments. He bought an house and got it ready for Grahapravesam. He has invited his relatives and some of his close friends including cool fantastico Juan. George was surprised when Rwanda and Juan came together to his new house and more so when they invited him for their marriage the following month. George exclaimed Fantastico!

#TataZicaMarathon

Saturday, 23 January 2016

Fantastico India and Cricket

Fantastico India, I called out when India won their first world cup cricket in 1983. During that time, India was not billed very high and stalwarts were England, West Indies and Australia. It was great to see India and Zimbabwe scoring victories (do we call upset) over stalwarts of the time like West Indies and Australia.  England, Pakistan, India and West Indies qualified for the semis. India beat West Indies in the finals by 43 runs at Lords in a low scoring match. Kapil Dev encouraged the team with his quote, "Team if this is not a winning total it is definitely a fighting total". India bowled economically, took their wickets, to get the opposition out for a paltry 140 runs. Srikkanth and Amarnath with the bat and Amarnath and Madan Lal with the ball contributed extensively to this victory. Kapil Dev captained India in this World cup.

There was always many ups and downs and India couldn't repeat that Fantastico performance for a long time until 2011. India won their second world cup title beating Srilanka at Wankhede stadium in Mumbai. It was a high scoring match with Srilanka posting 274 on the board in their 50 over for the loss of 6 wickets. However India bettered their score in 48.2 overs with 6 wickets and 10 balls to spare. Dhoni lead India and Kumar Sangakkara led Sri Lanka. The series had its own fair share of the controversies including redoing the toss since Umpire could not hear Sangakkara's call due to the loud noise from the crowd.

Unlike 1983, India was in good form and went as a favorite and defending champion into the 2015 world cup co-hosted by Australia and New Zealand. Though some of the stalwarts of 2011 victory were not part of the team, still the team had strong batting and bowling lineup. However they did not play to the expectation and it became Australia - New Zealand final which was won by Australia. Australia was out of form since 2011 but peaked at the right time.

India has been less than fantastico in many world cup as well. India has been knocked out in the group stage in 1975, 1979, 1992 and 2007 and came last in the super six stage in 1999.

India produced many fantastico world class players, of the likes of Sunil Gavaskar, Sachin Tendulkar, the flashy and unpredictable Virendra Schewag, Mahindra Singh Dhoni and now more recently Virat Kohli. I might have been partial in favor of the batsmen but thats how it is in the world of cricket. Bowlers too contribute for every team to win but it is not that visible except in low scoring matches. Dhoni's cool approach was a turning point for his team in the ending overs. However Dhoni has become a fading force more recently.

#TataZicaMarathon

The man who had a positive impact on me

There are very few things that really impact you. There are even fewer people who make a lasting impact in your mind. One of the person who really impacted my attention was Dr. A.P.J Abdul Kalam. I never really heard of him as a child. Nor did I know much about him even when I grew older until he was nominated for President of India. He served as the President of India from 2002 to 2007 and definitely one of the most respected Presidents compared to all his predecessors and also became popular as 'People's President'. He was also the first bachelor to be a President of India. Though I never heard of him much when he was a scientist, I was amazed by the work he has done for the country. He is rightly known as the missile man. I was even surprised that he was born and brought up in Tamil Nadu. He was born in Rameswaram one of the southern cities in India and passed away when he collapsed in Meghalaya, one of the north eastern states in India while giving a lecture at the age of 84.

He was born Jainulabdeen and Ashiamma on October 15, 1931 in a poor family. To augment his family's income, A.P.J had to do odd jobs like delivering News paper when we was young. He was a great reader and writer and has written over 20 books, including his auto biography 'The wings of fire' in 1999. He was the Chief Project Coordinator for Pokhran II nuclear tests which brought him into the limelight. After passing out of Madras Institute of Technology, he joined Defence Research and Development Organization. Though he had the opportunity to work with the renowned space scientist Vikram Sarabhai, Kalam was not much satisfied with his career and moved to ISRO. He was instrumental in laying the foundation for rocket launcher systems in Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) over the 2 decades he spent there.

He is very energetic and active even at his old age. Even when he died, he was doing what he liked most, speaking to an audience, giving his speech at the Indian Institute of Management, Shillong due to heart failure. It is very rare to find a person as talented as Dr Kalam.

His 79th Birthday was recognized as world student's day by United Nations. He was the recipient of a large number of awards. He was awarded Padma Bhushan, Padma Vibhushan and Bharat Ratna, the highest civilian awards in the 80's and 90's for his contributions in modernizing government defense technology. It is very difficult to find a person like Dr Kalam in one's lifetime and I was glad that he had  a very positive impact on me.
#TataZicaMarathon

Friday, 15 January 2016

How to turn good mornings into gold mornings

My mornings are always special. What I do after a good night's sleep and before getting ready for my day ahead is both special and personal. My whole family treat our mornings this way. Right from my teenage days, my entire family, my father, mother, and my little sister and myself, used to meet at the coffee table from brushing our teeth with Colgate paste and brush. Since healthy mouth is the best bet to have a healthy body, we always ensured and maintained good oral heath. We used to fight for different sections of news paper during our coffee session with freshly brewed coffee prepared by my mother to perfection. I used to grab the sports page while my sister goes for entertainment page. My parents shared the front page and business pages. Our first hour of the morning was our gold morning before we started on our tasks for the day. This refreshing hour helped us all of us get ready for our daily work.

The importance of our morning continued even after my marriage. My wife is a very good cook and mother and our mornings came alive with our children. We always started our good mornings with a good cup of freshly brewed coffee and newspaper after brushing our teeth.

Recently I came across a hashtag #Colgate360GoldMornings. I was curious to find out what it was and figured it referred to 'Colgate 360 Charcoal Gold toothbrush'. It belongs to the famous range of Colgate 360 series tooth brushes which I have been using for a while and comes with tongue cleaner as all other 360 range of tooth brushes. Out of curiosity I decided to apply for the hamper from Colgate and try the all new Colgate 360 Charcoal Gold toothbrush. I was surprised by the well packed box with the brush, coffee cup and flask all in gold color. Tooth Brush bristles and the handle are a mix of Gold and charcoal. The slim anti bacterial bristles, make it easier to reach all corners of our mouth and help clean not only the teeth and tongue but also the cheeks and gums, thereby providing a gold standard of whole mouth cleaning. And now with the charcoal gold tooth brush and my new gold colored coffee mug, good mornings have become gold mornings for my family. And with the gold colored flask, the gold morning continued to my office.

Note: This post was written about Colgate India.