Blog Adda

Early Childhood pampered by our parents

This is the time we don't understand the value of money and more often than not, we are also pampered by our parents and relatives.

Education - Key to success

We continue to live on our parents efforts but build a foundation for our career. Education and Graduation dependent on individuals interest and affordability.

We have started earning after graduation!!

Well, we are less dependent on our parents, now that we have started earning. Starting a family and Pampering our children is part of this phase.

Older we are, Wiser we get

We get older, children start schooling.Time to think about loan payments, savings for retirement, we earn, spend on necessities and we save the rest.

Finally the day has arrived and start enjoying retirement

Retirement reduces our needs but not expenses. The extras that we saved supplement the social security and pension and keep us flying till the END!!.

Sunday, 22 December 2013

Recharge your Hair and recharge your life

It was a usual Sunday, I had shampoo bath and was humming a song when the calling bell rang. Who could it be at this time on a Sunday morning? Before answering the bell, I had a last look in the mirror... oh no! I almost cried... somehow I am brave and keep myself under control (though not my hair).

As you can see, my hair is boring, thin, mangled, has all the wrong traits. I opened the door and there was my friend with such a nice hair... I could feel my jealousy. She had the perfect smile, apologized for coming in unannounced and she was leaving town that day.
My Friends nice flowing hair
My Hair - Thin, Mangled

We spoke for a while over coffee (believe me, I am a great cook!!), She complimented my coffee; I complimented her hair and so it went on - All girlie talk.

Then... She told me that I can actually have nice flowing hair like hers. The secret is in recharging your hair and life.

She then showed me the recharge site. She told me that I can also have nice hair like hers by using this solution. We went shopping to buy the Secret solution. She left promising to meet me the following month when she is back in town again. I could see my hair glow and full of life after using the secret solution. When we met next, my hair was fuller, flowing and more lively than hers. It did recharge my Life.

Note: This blog was written for indiblogger sunsilk competition.

Wednesday, 18 December 2013

Dove Beauty Bar saved my day!

It was Halloween and I was planning to go trick or treating. I was to dress up as the beautiful Snow White. The winter in Newyork was very cold that year and my complexion looked dry and lacked luster. My dear friend Eliza who was to accompany me to the mall suddenly hit upon a great idea. She asked me to wash my face with Dove soap and lo behold! the transformation was wonderful. My patchy dry skin  transformed to a glowing smooth complexion . When I went trick or treating at the mall, every one complimented me on my snowhite complexion. Dove also moisturizers the skin leaving it very soft and younger looking. It has wonderful fragrance and seems the right beauty aid to start the day with. Accolades to Dove!

This blog is written for indiblogger dove #DoveFaceTest contest. More details at Dove Beauty Bar page.

Friday, 4 October 2013

Crimes Against Women - Book Review

This book brings together three gripping stories told sensitively, emotionally and all set in 21st century India. The first story is that of a catholic nun, sister Valsa, who is brutally murdered when she falls prey to the hands of men who do not want her interference in tribal issues and want to reap better economic benefits. Another motive for her murder is when Valsa tries to get justice for her friend who was raped in her village.The second story is about the exploitation of women and we read many horrifying accounts of prostitution. Baby Falaks condition at the hospital brings tears to our eyes. The whole nation mourns baby Falaks death and the authors Krishna Pokharal and Paul Beckett and the staff of the Wall Street Journal throw light to the fact that inefficiency of our social institution failed to save the baby at the time of need. The rape of the physiotherapy student, Nirbhaya, shows what a bunch of uneducated drunken fellows can do. The description of the rape chills the bone and it feels like we are witnessing it with our own eyes.

Despite the economic boom and the empowerment of women, we see that women are still in the lower strata of society trampled by their male counter parts. Through the power of the pen, the authors Krishna Pokharal and Paul Beckett hoped that there will some sort of awakening in the masses and more equality among the genders in future generations.

Monday, 9 September 2013

The future of Shopping

It was a sunday afternoon. My husband had taken the children for a swimming session. It was a nice feeling, home alone, as I relaxed on the sofa.

My eyes fell on the calendar, wow today is 14th Jan 2030. How did I forget to send sankranti gift to my bro? I swiped the universal remote in my hand and pulled out the virtual keypad. And this virtual key board will send what I type to the computer in the next room and I can see the computer screen on the wall. Few key strokes and i could see that I have shopped in ebay the most, Rs 5 Lakhs in the last 6 months!!

Tapped on ebay and to my surprise I have bought last year gift for my bro in ebay. I love these new features, any item I check, it automatically shows the lowest price in ebay for the item. Ebay already has my ewallet and hence I don't have to go through the payment screens. I just select an item and say ship, enter a code and I am done. In the next couple of days my bro will be getting a nice single seater car. 

I just couldn't believe that 20 years back, I was entering the credit card numbers, secondary authentication codes etc for every purchase. We even in those days ebay had a google chrome bar and provided automatic updates on ebay prices for any product anywhere on the net directly on chrome bar. You can download the extension from this link.

Note: This blog post has been written specifically for ebay indiblogger "The future of shopping" contest.

Wednesday, 31 July 2013

Idea Caravan - Great ideas come unexpected

Ideas and Achievements. Lot of people come with great ideas. If these ideas are put to real use, it benefits everyone in the world. Talk about Wright brothers. They took a small flight in their backyard but their idea got converted and people fly across the world in a day or two. What is most important is that their ideas just didn't sit inside them. When others know, it helps them to take it forward for next step.

Think of Mathematicians like Ramanujam, or current generation investment wizards like Warren Buffet. They have a talent and they used them well. It may be an accident that Apple fell from a tree but Newton figured out about gravity.

Do you have an algorithm to do something that others want? You can put that to good use. It can be anything including a new way to crack exams. Does this sound believable? Well, in Einstein days they never thought earth has the power to pull things towards it but now even a child can speak about gravity. Please listen to Angad Nadkarni speech in the following youtube link. Please check it out and share your opinion.

Note: This blog was specifically written for the Idea caravan contest conducted by Indiblogger and Franklin Templeton Investments.

Saturday, 15 June 2013

If I could WeChat with Anyone, Anywhere!

I am the kind of person who loves chatting with people! I meet different kinds of people and some of them are very interesting. Hema Malini tops the list of people whom I like to chat with. At the age of sixty, she echoes Namita Jain's book "Sexy at Sixty". She still has an excellent figure and great skin. I would love to chat with her to know the secret behind her glowing complexion which has not shadowed with age. Has dancing kept her figure slim? I would also ask her about the secret behind her happily married life to Macho Dharam.

Hema Malini releasing Namita Jain's book "Sexy at Sixty" (courtesy: glamsham.com)

I would love to have a tete-a-tete with Angelina Jolie who is much in the limelight today. I have always been her admirer. She loves children and has three biological and three adopted ones. I love to chat with her as she has strong humanitarian values and has adopted children from third world countries, like Cambodia, Addisababa and Vietnam. One child that she adopted tested HIV positive but later tested negative. But anyway it was magnanimous on Angelina's part to even think of adopting a HIV positive child. Her decision to have double mastectomy was taken solely so that she would be there for the Children and not die like her mother due to breast cancer at an early age. I love her Joie-de-vivre. She and Brad Pitt celebrated her 38th Birthday in a restaurant few weeks after her mastectomy. But I wonder whether she took the correct decision? Why panic and decide to have double mastectomy when one can even die of any other disease or in a freak accident. Why such haste? I want to talk to her personally to know more about the reasons.
                           Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt with their Children (courtesy: usmagazine.com)

Amy Chua author of the memoir "Battle hymn of the tiger mother" is another person I would like to chat with. She and I share the same views on Parenting. I also believe in the strict Asian kind of upbringing, especially when the children are young so that they are more into Academics and music and not watching TV or playing video games. I believe, like Amy Chua, that when the children grow-up we should allow them to choose more diverse careers other than medicine and engineering. When I chat with her I would like to congratulate her on the book which is really a eye-opener for parents, who are bringing up their children liberally and who get into drugs and teenage pregnancies.
                                       Amy Chua baking with her children (courtesy: rdasia.com)

I would also like to chat with the beauty queen Shahnaz Hussain. In a world that is going green, food going organic, and if all our beauty potions came from herbs, wouldn't it be wonderful? It would be interesting talking with this diva who has made it big in the cosmetic industry and she exports a lot of her beauty products to many eminent personalities around the world. She seems to be a combination of beauty and brains and in my chat with her, I would like to know the secret of her success.
                                                   Shahnaz Hussain (courtesy: smeworld.org)

I love to chat with my mother. She is always full of fun and frolic and sometimes we giggle like teenagers. Believe it or not, I chat with her everyday. We share the happenings in our life everyday and she is always giving me some advice on cooking or bringing up the children. I fill her up with the latest gossip about all our relatives which adds spice to her otherwise monotonous life. I watch a lot of television and love to discuss the latest soap operas.

This post is a contest entry for the indiblogger WeChat contest. We love voice messaging only on wechat. WeChat youtube link can be accessed at WeChat's Youtube channel.

Monday, 6 May 2013

A moral story about ignoring warning signs...

Every story, real or imagination has a moral and so does mine. Warning Signs, as the name indicates, is an opportunity to protect ourselves before serious damage hits. I have known of colleagues who have ignored small bumps which later turned out cancerous. While those are bit uncommon, bleeding gums and painful teeth are very common and should not be ignored. Did you ask Why? All our food intake is done through the mouth. Any problem with gums/teeth will invariably affect our stomach, digestion and all organs downstream from there.

I did have bleeding gums when I was a student (in the 80's). I went to a dentist who after cleaning my teeth asked me to use G32. It did have very good effect. My parents used Colgate and so did I and continue to use Colgate till date. However I use only regular (and not any of the special versions like sensitive teeth, total etc). I see past all the marketing gimmicks (I don't care if the tooth paste tube can stand upright or not and definitely not going to pay more for that) but I really believe unhealthy teeth can give lot of health problems and hence teeth and gums must be healthy.

I don't believe in doing gum surgery (for bleeding gums) but my spouse does. I am sure taking good care of your by brushing regularly and using  Ayurvedic medicines will go a long way in helping you to maintain healthy teeth and gums. If I have had the gum problem now (rather than in the 80's), I would have tried Colgate Total but G32 has taken care of my gum problem when needed.

Health is wealth. It is important that we maintain good health. Speaking about healthy gums and teeth, please check out the link at My Healthy Speak Blog. The moral of the story is Never Ignore Warning Signs; check it out to ensure it is harmless and have a great health.

This blog has been written as an entry for the contest conducted by Colgate and indiblogger.

Tuesday, 23 April 2013

How does modern healthcare touch lives?

Life revolves around innovation. Needless to emphasize the importance of the same.

We see every year that faster more advanced computer products are available at a price less than the previous year.

We notice that Lifespan of humars have increased over the years in all parts of the world and people being cured of diseases thought to be incurable only a few years ago. This inspite of new diseases, viruses cropping up. Unfortunately the cost of healthcare (in most countries) unfortunately is going up with time.

All these wonders are  made possible by innovation.

If you look at innovation in Healthcare, there are several groups of players. On the one-hand you have the pharma companies who invest in research to find newer, safer drugs for all existing and new diseases/viruses that keep affecting our health. Pharmas are very visible since we buy their products regularly.

Then we new innovations in gadgets used by doctors for Surgery or in diagnosis which do not have much visibility to common man.

Last but not the least, we have hospitals like Apollo hospitals which bring together all these innovations and more to the common man's reach. They bring together the best medical professionals in the country, the best equipments that money can buy and the drugs that are needed to save lives all under one roof. India has talented minds (Doctors, Nurses), equipment to treat patients (Thanks to hospitals who make the necessary investments) and the drugs (Many large drug manufacturers manufacture generics and licensed drugs in India due to availability of infrastructure and personnel).

Many foreigners are willing to travel to India for their treatment due to the fact that they trust they can get good treatment and at an affordable cost. In most foreign countries, either the country lacks in specialty treatments and infrastructure or they have the best infrastructure by the cost of treatment is very high. India has managed to balance both.

I still remember, not too long ago, in the 60's and 70's when medical infrastructure was available only in government hospitals which were over-burdened by the inflow of patients for treatment. Though it didn't look rewarding at that time, it is due to the foresight of Private hospitals (Apollo being one of the first) that they started building the infrastructure to make India the Healthcare capital of the world.

It is only the individual who was suffering can understand the relief when he is cured of his disease. Saving a life touches the family. Thanks to hospitals like Apollo (http://www.apollohospitals.com/cutting-edge.php), India has managed to touch the lives of people across the world.

Note: This blog has been written as an entry for "How does Modern Healthcare touch lives?" contest announced jointly by Apollo Hospitals and IndiBlogger.